Visitors to Cla$$ic Gєoяgє's Mind

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Toddler Swallows Ballpoint Pen

X-rays of a two-year-old girl show the faint traces of a 15-centimetre-long pen she swallowed 

Doctors at the Montreal Children's Hospital were able to remove the pen using a rigid esophagoscope, a slim tube with a camera on the end.The girl had accidentally swallowed a full-length, cap-less pen. According to the report, she spit out a small amount of blood but showed no other symptoms. She was first taken to a regional hospital, where a chest X-ray showed that the pen was lodged vertically in her lower esophagus and had partly entered her stomach. She was then transferred to the Montreal Children's Hospital, arriving four hours after swallowing the pen, the report says. After the pen was removed, the girl recovered quickly and was sent home the next day